Though the use of medical marijuana has become more widely accepted in recent years, there are still strict qualifications that determine eligibility. Read below to see if you qualify for medical marijuana in New Jersey. If you are an eligible candidate, follow the instructions on how to register and obtain your ID Card.
The first step to acquiring your medical marijuana ID card is determining if you are a qualifying candidate. For a New Jersey resident to become a registered patient with the New Jersey Medical Marijuana Program, he/she must:
1. Establish a legitimate patient/physician relationship with a registered physician– the physician must be registered with the program and have a present and ongoing accountability for the evaluation and care of the patient’s medical condition.
The physician can confirm the legitimacy of the patient/physician relationship by:
If you feel that you meet the qualifications for obtaining an ID card for medical marijuana in the State of New Jersey, complete your registration online by following the steps below:
1. Go to https://njmmp.nj.gov and click “New Patient Registration”
2. Enter the required information, including the patient reference number provided by your physician
3. Select your preferred Alternative Treatment Center
4. Complete patient certification
5. Enter caregiver information, if applicable
6. Click “Save and Continue”
7. Upload the required documents
You will need the following documents to complete your registration. Caregivers, if applicable, must also submit these required documents.
Patient photograph – recent digital photo of patient. Photo must be against a white background and at least 70% of photo must display the patient's face. No glasses, hats, scarves or other items may cover any portion of the patient’s face. The same conditions apply to submitted photographs of caretakers
Proof of identification – government-issued photo identification. Qualifying documents include: